Community Outreach Partnerships
Mount Alvernia College has established partnerships with:
- The Little Flower St Vincent de Paul (SVDP) Conference – The entire College community responds to the needs of the SVDP Conference at all times during the year, but particularly at Christmas when Home Rooms support local families in need with Christmas food hampers and gifts. Staff, parents and students are involved regularly with our local Little Flower SVDP Conference in delivering bread to needy families in the Kedron and Stafford area on a Sunday or Thursday afternoon.
- MICAH Services – Students in Francis and Clare Schools team up with the Family Support Team of MICAH Services by making up ‘Kids’ Fun Packs’ and ‘Family Motel Packs’, while Year 10 students present the popular ‘Hot Choccy and Muffin Morning’ every week at Common Ground, South Brisbane.
- Delamore Retirement Community – We offer hospitality and companionship once a week by serving afternoon tea outside school hours. This ministry is open to all year levels.
- Sony Children’s Holiday Camp – A small group of Year 12 students joins students of Marist College, Ashgrove to act as companions to children with disabilities on the Sony Children’s Holiday camp during the first four days of the September holidays.
- Pay a Sack Forward – This outreach service sees Years 11 and 12 students, together with staff, join other community members to pack the sacks with food and essentials for the homeless of Brisbane City.
- Orange Sky Laundry – We are establishing a partnership with this new not-for-profit entity, which will see Years 11 and 12 students, together with staff, join other community members to wash clothing and other possessions for the homeless of Brisbane City
- Children’s Hospital Foundation – The new children’s hospital precinct at South Bank combines Mater Children’s Hospital and the Royal Children’s Hospital, and this is where our Year 12 students are in the process of volunteering on a weekly roster after school to help sick kids. They relive their childhood, meeting new friends through play.